Many times when most speakers talk about abstinence to the youth, all they tell them is to abstain, to wait. Nobody bothers to go beyond that and tell them how to go about it. But in the youth peace summit one person dared to, Dr.Mamy.
He was the speaker in the youth and sexuality workshop. According to him, abstinence is a choice that has to be made by a person individually. Practicing abstinence requires strategy.
For you to come up with an effective strategy, one has to include the following;
- Be clear about why you want to wait.
- Decide ahead of time on how to deal with these situations incase they arise
- Be impressed with yourself; this motivates you to wait .
- Be aware of what you are getting into your head; it reflects in your actions.
- Get support and avoid negative pressure.
- Practice communication skills, for example learn how to express yourself firmly when saying ‘no’
As there is no 100% guarantee in the practice of “safe sex”, abstinence is the way to go!